- Jobs & Stages
- Frontend designer at Spatie
Frontend designer at Spatie
(This description is in English, but knowledge of Dutch is mandatory for this position.)
Design and implementation for beautiful web applications in the best of conditions
This is us
We are a compact but powerful team of (currently) 11 web enthousiasts based in Antwerp. We've made quite a name with our open source work in the Laravel ecosystem and recently started building more and more tools for developers. We share a lot of what we learn: be it in open source projects, ebooks & courses, videos or in-house knowledge sharing sessions.
A few examples of what we're building:
- commercial tools, like Ray, Mailcoach, Flare and Media Library Pro;
- (video) courses and books, like Laravel Beyond CRUD, Laravel Package Training, Front Line PHP and the upcoming Event Sourcing in Laravel;
- applications for international names like Tomorrowland, Krauthammer and Martin Garrix;
- an enormous collection of open source packages and projects.
Stuff you'd be working on
We are looking for someone who will be working at the front-of-the-front-end (see this definition by Brad Frost). In our case, this means you…
- … work on personality for our own products —sketch logos, pick fonts, define color palettes, provide illustrations or create short video reels;
- discuss and design UIs — from idea, to prototype, to implementation. We use paper, Figma and Illustrator, but are open for any tool that gets the job done;
- think about how this clean UI fits in a robust UX. Consider the entire strategy from intake to checkout, and work on the information architecture. Look at concepts like performance, fallbacks and overall experience;
- design and implement concrete marketing actions, like banners, newsletters or one-page promo sites;
- play with new technologies, try out stuff that won't make production or work on your secret side project — as long as you'll show it to the team once it's done.
We don't take on just any new project but only those where you and the entire team can learn something new. We always work with the latest versions of software so you can keep your knowledge up to date, and make use of the newest features. We take this 'stay up to date' mentality very serious:
- get a € 1500,- personal budget every year for trainings & conferences like dotJS/dotCSS, nordic.JS or Frontend United;
- spend 4h/week on experiments and open source work;
- be part of a team that has made its name in open source.
Lastly, you'll have a say in what you'll be working on. No really, we áre listening. If you're curious to see how we work, these public guidelines could give you a first impression.
This defines you
First of all, you're a designer; of beautiful graphics, of one-pagers and entire applications. Though we are looking for someone with a sharp eye, it's indispensable that you also have technical skills to implement your ideas. You work together with the frontend and backend developers in the team, so you know how to communicate about a design as well.
- You have a great taste. You have an eye for novelties without disregarding classics and proven patterns. In the work we do, functionality almost always wins. This doesn't mean there's no room for details or surprises.
- We use Tailwind CSS and React, Vue or Alpine on the frontend. Bonus points if you have some experience in one of these frameworks.
- GitHub plays a big part in our daily workflow to collaborate on projects, besides Slack and Basecamp. If you happen to have a GitHub profile, be sure to include it in your application.
- A competitive salary package that can be tailored to your personal needs
- Health insurance
- Meal vouchers
- Eco vouchers
- Velo card for public bikes in Antwerp
- Laptop + 2nd screen, smartphone
- Internet at home
- Bose noise-cancelling headphones
Extras that will feel familiar quickly
- Partially remote work to help you get in the zone or combine work and family
- A modern office in the center of Antwerp, right in between 2 train stations
- Standing desks and a roof terrace
- A genuine drive to learn from each other: code reviews, in-house presentations and chit-chat on Slack
- A flat company structure where you can make a clear difference
- Kiva budget for micro-loans
- Real espresso & fresh fruit in the office
- Monthly Italian lunch with the team; wine from a chicken jug
If you think you have what it takes, don't hesitate! Let us know why you're a good fit and mail us a brief motivation and CV
We are not looking into remote work or relocation at this point, but partial work from home is an option.
Knowledge of Dutch is mandatory.
You may start immediately.